Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Questionnaire: Gregory Wright

The Questionnaire is meant to be a lighter version of a bio, a little more revealing in some respects and personal without all the facts bogging it down. I supply the questions and the respondents supply the answers. Either one or both of us supply the images.


            G r e g o r y  W r i g h t           


What is your favorite color?

Ocean blue/turquoise and blood red - depends on the day




Greg Wright, "Effervescent Ascension," 36"H x 30"W x 2.5"D, 2010
Encaustic, oil, pigment, shellac on birch



What is your favorite word?

Histrionic or pontificate - it’s a toss up.
Although, I use fabulous very frequently




Greg Wright in the studio



What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Fluid, sensual movement, safety, warmth, comfort, cheese, and my dog



Pecan, Greg's Shiba Enu 


What turns you off?

Wannabe know-it-alls who slaughter the English language (or any language) with nothing to back it up but FAKE bullshit! Do you think I know someone who fits the bill?





What profession other than artist would you most like to be?

I always wanted to be a chef. I love to cook and eat! 





What is your favorite book or movie?

The series Six Feet Under is my all time favorite.




Cast of "Six Feet Under"



Who is your favorite musician, musical group or style of music?

I have to have my House music and my Black Diva vocals. Whitney is high on my list (no pun intended).




Whitney Houston



What do you most value in your friends?

Loyalty, honesty, and tolerance (of me).








Name three artists whose work has influenced your own or whose work you most relate to.

Gustav Klimt - just because



Gustav Klimt, Adele Bloch Bauer, 1907




Georgia O’Keeffe - the mother of abstraction



Georgia O'Keefe, Jack in the Pulpit





Marlene Tseng Yu - intuitive organic and monumental work



Marlene Tseng Yu (See her website





Name an artist whose work you admire but which may be unlike yours.

Anselm Kiefer - for his monumental textural paintings/sculpture with a gritty beauty




Anselm Kiefer's work for Monumenta, Paris, 2007




What is your idea of earthly happiness?


Working in my climate-controlled studio all day long, going home (maybe I'm already there) and making something delicious on my Viking range (6 burners with double ovens), and then sitting in front of my 60" flat screen TV.







Greg's new studio in Lowell







View from the studio windows






Works by Gregory Wright


(See more at http://www.artgw.com)

Upcoming: "Microcosm/Macrocosm? A Fantastic Voyage" at the Carney Gallery at Regis College
November 12 - December 12, 2010. Opening Reception: Saturday, November 13, 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Artist Talk Saturday, December 4, 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.






"Refuge From Overcrowding," 48"H x 30"W, 2010


Encaustic, oil, pigment and shellac on birch






"Entwined by the Tempest Along the Way," 48"H x 30"W, 2010

Encaustic, oil, pigment and shellac on birch





"Reaching for a Certain Outcome," 36"H x 30" W x 2.5" D, 2010

Encaustic, oil, pigment, shellac on birch






"Tidal Dance," diptych 36"H x 42"W, 2009

Encaustic, oil, pigment and shellac on birch




4 comments:

lisa said...

I look forward to these, Nancy.
Great job!!
Thanks

Pamela Farrell said...

This was a very nice way to get to know Gregory a bit more. Nice!

Hylla Evans said...

"Reaching for a Certain Outcome" blows me away. Thanks, Gregory for such great work, and thanks, Nancy for writing these questions to give artists a chance to wax eloquent.

Nancy Natale said...

Hi Lisa, Pam and Hylla. Thanks so much for commenting. Greg's work is really fabulous. Seeing it in person is totally different when you can appreciate all the dimensional additions that he makes and the incredible surfaces that he gets with pigments and burns. I'm so glad that I was able to take his demo at the conference and see how he works with unusual combinations of things. PLUS, he's a fun guy and his enthusiasm and honesty are totally refreshing. Now that he's revealed his devotion to the Black Divas, I am an even bigger fan of his!